What to do Before Starting Your Project
Certain forms must be completed before you start your project. Follow the directions to see if you will need to complete any of these forms.
- Does your project involve the use of vertebrate animals? For example: dogs, mice, frogs, lizards, or birds.
YES - Download and save the Certification of Humane Treatment of Live Vertebrate Animals and save this form to your computer. Then go on to step 2.
NO - Go on to step 2.
- Does your project involve the use of animal cells or tissues, including DNA? For example: meat, eggs, hair, or saliva, regardless of source of these materials.
YES - Download and complete the Certification of Vertebrate tissue Sample Source and save this form to your computer. Then go on to step 3.
NO - Go on to step 3.
- Does your project involve people (human subjects)? This includes projects that observe humans without interacting with them.
YES - Download and complete the Certification of Human Subjects Research and save this form to your computer. Then go on to step 4.
NO - Go on to step 4.
- Does your project involve the use of potential hazards? For example: hazardous organisms, chemicals, substances, or devices (anything so labelled or which, if not handled properly, can cause injury).
YES - Download and complete the Certification of Hazards Control and save this form to your computer. Then go on to step 5.
NO - Go on to step 5.
- Will you perform any part of your experiment in a private or academic lab (e.g. UCI lab, UCLA lab, City of Hope, industrial lab), including both labs in the US and other countries?
YES - You will need OCSEF Certifications if any other questions are answered Yes. In addition a specific Regulated Research Form must be provided After Experimentation.
NO - Go on to step 5.
- If you answered YES to any of questions 1 through 4, you MUST submit Certification Form(s) to the OCSEF’s Scientific Review Committee (SRC) for review before you start your experimental work or risk not being accepted to the OCSEF. You do not need SRC Review and Pre-Approval if the answer to ALL questions above is “NO.”
HOW TO COMPLETE CERTIFICATION FORMS AND SRC REVIEW AND PRE-APPROVAL BEFORE YOU BEGIN YOUR PROJECT.
- Open the downloaded forms.
- Fill in the required information.
- Type the names in the appropriate boxes of all the people (including yourself) who will need to sign the forms.
- Print a copy of each filled-in form.
- Go the page titled: SRC Pre-approval.
- Complete and submit the form. (Mac users - please read this article to prevent from sending an empty PDF.)
After review by the SRC, you will receive a response by email. The SRC will review the project plan; they may recommend changes to the project, advise of potential safety or ethical issues, or make suggestions to better conform to experimental best practices.
Make 2 copies of each signed form. Keep one set for your records, put one set in your research notebook.