A FREE, virtual series of workshops designed to guide students to complete a research or engineering project and enter it into the 2021 Orange County Science and Engineering Fair.
Thank you for applying to the OCSEF Research and Engineering Design Academy. We are no longer accepting new registrations since we have completed 50% of the program. Thank you for your interest. Please have a conversation with your teacher about how you can develop a project for the 2021 OCSEF.
OCSEF Outreach Committee
Each workshop will begin with a general discussion of
the week’s topic followed by small breakout sessions with mentors for further discussion and practice and to answer specific questions. Students will be assigned to breakout groups based on general topic area.
- Two independent sessions
- Academy 101: For students with no prior science / engineering fair experience
- Academy 201: For students who have previously completed science / engineering projectsEach Academy limited to 60 projects.
- Individual and Group Projects may register
- All sessions are FREE and conducted on Zoom
- Eight weekly sessions meet on Saturday from 4:00 to 5:30 pm.
Your attendance at all sessions is critical!
Orange County Science and Engineering Fair
Research and Design Academy
|1||September 26, 2020||Introduction to Research and Engineering Design|
|2||October 3, 2020||Background Research to Formulate a Problem|
|3||October 10, 2020||Formulate Question – Hypothesis (for Science)/Solution (for Engineering Design)|
|4||October 17, 2020||Develop Research/ Design Plan and Materials List|
|5||October 24, 2020||Research: Data Collection; Test and Modify Design|
|6||November 7, 2020||Data Analysis; Validity/ Reliability; Types of Data Analysis|
|7||November 14, 2020||How to Develop a Quality Presentation|
|8||November 21, 2020||Tips on Meeting with Judges|
Each workshop will consist of formal introduction to the weekly topic with ample time for individual assistance in breakout sessions.
* Schedule for Academy 101. Academy 201 schedule follows a similar track but may be adjusted based on student needs.