What to do Before Starting Your Project?
Certain forms must be completed before you start your project. Follow the directions to see if you will need to complete any of these forms.
1. Does your project involve the use of vertebrate animals? For example: dogs, mice, frogs, lizards, or birds.
|YES||Download and save the Certification of Humane Treatment of Live Vertebrate Animals and save this form to your computer. Then go on to step 2.|
|NO||Go on to step 2.|
2. Does your project involve the use of potential hazards? This may include potentially hazardous procedures, organisms, chemicals, substances, or devices OR the use of animal cells or tissues, including blood and blood products or DNA? For example: meat or eggs (if not obtained commercially), hair, teeth, or saliva, regardless of source of these materials.
|YES||Download and complete the Certification of Hazards Control and save this form to your computer. Then go on to step 4.|
|NO||Go on to step 3.|
3. Does your project involve people (human subjects), including projects in which you are the only subject being tested? This includes projects that observe humans without interacting with them.
|YES||Download and complete the Certification of Human Subjects Research and save this form to your computer. Then go on to step 4.|
|NO||Go on to step 4.|
4. Will you perform any part of your experiment in a private or academic lab (e.g. UCI lab, UCLA lab, City of Hope, industrial lab), including both labs in the US and other countries?
|YES||You will need OCSEF Certifications if any of the above answered questions are answered “Yes.” In addition a specific Regulated Research Form must be provided After Experimentation.|
|NO||Go on to step 6.|
5. If you answered YES to any of questions 1 through 3, you MUST submit Certification Form(s) to the OCSEF’s Scientific Review Committee (SRC) for review before you start your experimental work or risk not being accepted to the OCSEF.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any additional questions.